Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bananas may be edible after all

Well as long as there is chocolate involved.
We had some Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie at a friends house last week and I was wanting to make it for Hubby, because he missed out. OK and because it was really really yummy. My friend gave me some basic instructions for it that seemed pretty simple.
She had told me to use vanilla wafers, instant vanilla pudding, banana's and chocolate, easy peasy right?
Well, I had a box of vanilla wafers stashed away and all the other required ingred, or so I thought. So this morning I went to get the goods out to make it and what did I find???
No Vanilla Wafers!!! Somebody ate my cookies, and no it wasn't me I don't eat those things, they have no chocolate in them.
So I had to settle for some chocolate chip cookies instead. I also couldn't find Instant Vanilla pudding mix in my cupboard, I had 3 others odd flavors, go figure.
So I was slowed down temporarily but it didn't stop me, I had just to be a little inventive-

This is why I don't these shots, someone is always missing!
Pretend you see some bananas,and butter in there, k :)
And I don't know why my vanilla pudding- that is what is in the red bowl-looks so odd.
Very Strange.


I missed a step, I am a bad camera person, bad, bad slacker.
Here is after I melted the chocolate chips in the microwave.
The whole pan goes in so you need to use glass, or do it in the oven :)

Look! There are my bananas!
They were MIA for a short time, now they're back and perfect- just barely ripe.

Here I am spreading the cool whip mixture over my perfect bananas :)

Does anyone know how to fix my picture?? I tried everything, then gave up, oh well.
Here are my cookies pre-crumb, it looks fine- just tilt your head to the right :)

Sprinkle the yummy crumbs over top, and make 'er pretty

Black-Bottomed Banana Cream Pie My Way


Ingred;
1 pkg chocolate chip cookies
1 reg sized container cool whip
1 small pkg cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
1c. milk
3T. butter, melted
1c. mini chocolate chips
2 bananas

Prepare the pudding as the box instructs but only use 1c. of milk instead of the 2 it calls for. Chill in the fridge until cooled, fold together with the cool whip, save a little cool whip to decorate with. Place half of the cookies in the food processor and turn into fine crumbs. Spread in the bottom of a 8x8 glass pan. Mix with the melted butter and pat down to make crust. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust, place in microwave and heat for 30 sec. to 1 minute. Until the chocolate starts to melt. Slice bananas and place over the chocolate layer, save a few slices. Spread you cool whip mixture over that. Saving out half a cookie, make the rest into fine crumbs and sprinkle over the top. Decorate with the reserved cool whip, banana and crumbled cookie, a few chocolate chips won't hurt either. Chill for at least an hour.

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I think it should always be made with chocolate chip cookies!

BashfulToast said...

That looks super yummy! I'm not a big banana person but I think I could try that!

Holly Lefevre said...

I LOVE bananas. This looks really good...even better with chocolate chip cookies!

Donna-FFW said...

I like your way it sounds yummy. I enjoyed this post, it was a fun read!

betty said...

all in all, even with you changing this and adding that and taking a picture of this and a picture of that, it all looks delicious :) very clever you are on knowing what to try to substitute to have it still coming out tasty

betty

Unknown said...

Oh yum!!

Liz Mays said...

Oh my gosh, that looks delicious!!!! Pretty easy too! :)

Monica H said...

hmm, such an interesting pie. I would have thought the cookie crumbs would have formed a crust on the bottom. But I like this version. I bet it gives it more texture.

chocolate chip cookies + bananas + chocolate and pudding= YUM!

Kim said...

I like the sound of this pie! So sweet of you to make it for your hubby since he missed out! I bet he really enjoyed it.

I can't handle taking a lot of pictures while cooking. I'm lucky if I get one picture of the final product. I like blogging and cooking, but the pictures are a real pain for me! This was a cute post though :D

Tracie said...

And because it's made with fruit, it's a health food, right? (Looks so good.)

sanjeet said...

I'm not a big banana person but I think I could try that!

Work from home India

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie