Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Simple Chili in the Crockpot

After searching the Interwebs and Pinterest for a recipe similar to how I make my chili, to send to my  Lil' sister, and finding NADA. I decided that I needed to just post it on here for her, that way I can write it exactly like I want :)  Cause I'm picky like that.  So Nellie dear, this is for you.

Simple Chili in the Crockpot

 Ingred;
6 c. dried beans- I used 2c. pinto, 2c. black, 2c. pinto
1//2c. diced onion
4T. chili powder
2T. cumin
1T. minced/ or 1/2T. powdered garlic
2t. salt
1t. pepper
1 bay leaf (optional)
1 can v8 juice, tomato juice, or diced tomatoes
2 regular cans tomato sauce

   Rinse your beans in a colander, then add to your crockpot. Add water until the beans are cover by 2-3 inches of water. Add in the onion, put on the lid and set to cook on high. I cook mine on high for 3-4 hours, until the beans are cooked through. Drain the beans and put back in your crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients to your crockpot and set on low heat for 4-6 hours. Don't forget to remove the bay leaf when you get ready to serve.

Now, if you hadn't guessed, this makes A LOT of Chili. After dinner I will divide up the remaining Chili into 2-3 cup portions, place in ziplock freezer bags, label as- Chili, with the date, and toss in my freezer.  These will get used later as toppings for baked potatoes, noodles, turn mac and cheese into chili-mac, chip dip. Anything you would use canned chili or beans for.  I love having these bags of yumminess in my freezer, ready to help me make quick, homemade dinners for my family.

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie