Saturday, December 19, 2009

Pierogi Madness

I seem to be afflicted with Pierogi madness.

First we had the Homemade Pierogi's, from Donna at My Tasty Treasures.

Then we had Pierogi Lasagna, also from Donna, (maybe she has the madness too.)

Then I found a recipe for Pierogi Chowder on a blog called- A Thousand Soups, yummy.

I did a Google search of soup blogs and I found this great blog- A Thousand Soups.

I had to make this, it was WONDERFUL. And it got 4 kid thumb ups from the critics. I am posting the recipe, then at the end I will tell you what I did because I tweaked it just a wee bit.

Pierogi Chowder
Ingred;

2T. vegetable oil
2c. chopped onion
8c. water
3c. diced potatoes
2c. instant potato flakes
2c. milk
1/2lb American cheese, shredded or cubed
6oz wide egg noodles, cooked until tender
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat and add oil. Toss in onion and cook until translucent.
2. Add water and diced potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. When potatoes are tender, mash until broken up.
4. Add potato flakes and stir well.
5. Pour in milk and stir until smooth.
6. Stir in American cheese and mix until cheese is melted.
7. Blend in drained noodles and add salt and pepper to taste.

I used 2T. butter and 1T. olive oil instead of the vegetable oil. I used 4c. water 4c. chicken stock. For my instant potato flakes I used Betty Crockers Four Cheese Instant Potatoes. I had some cream that needed used up so I used that instead of milk and I never have American cheese so I used shredded Cheddar cheese. I also used white pepper instead of regular, because Miss M always complains if there is pepper speaks in her soup.

The soup was very very good and will be made many more times in my house. If you are a soup person you definitely need to go check out that soup blog she has many many great looking recipes, there are several there that I can't wait to try.

I am going to enter this in the Souper Sunday Soups, that is another great place to go look if you are wanting some new soup recipes to try out.

10 comments:

Matty said...

I would never have guessed. I've only ever eaten them as is, either boiled or fried. Looks so good.

Kristina P. said...

I've never had a perogi. I've always wanted to try them.

betty said...

definitely going to check out that Thousand Soups blog; I love soup when it is cold (but not today when it is 80 degrees!)

that pirogi soup sounds delicious; I like both of the recipes, the original one and how you tweaked. will try that one soon

hoping the day is a good one for you and your family :)

betty

Monica H said...

Maybe DOnna gave you the madness? :-)

I mailed out your book yesterday. They said it would take about 3 days, so hopefully you'll ge titi in time to open up on Christmas day!

xoxo, Monica

Donna-FFW said...

I am always having some kind of madness in my brain..;)

That soup sounds lovely, you know Ill have to try it!!

Lissaloo said...

The soup tastes just like eating a pierogi it's awesome :)
Thank you so much Monica I am so excited!
Donna you and me both girl, I blame mine genetics :)

Kim said...

How did I miss this post? Oh my gosh does this look delicious or what? I love all things pierogie, the lasagna and the soup look remarkable. I'm running to make some frozen pierogies right now ;D

Holly Lefevre said...

I have never had a pierogi, but my brother once played ice hockey somewhere that was like the pierogi capital.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Your chowder looks delicious. I love pierogis. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays.

Tracie said...

I love pierogis. They remind me of the years that I worked in PA. I've never tried to make them though.

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie