Sunday, January 18, 2009

I am a Hippie-At-Heart

Reading a friends post, this one to be exact, got me to thinking how much fun it would be to write a post about my love for Hippie Products. OK, probably more fun for me than for anyone else reading this, so this is mostly for me :) Ever since I was a teen I have loved all things natural/hippie, I only purchased used clothing (with the exception of unmentionables) & used natural products, went vegetarian, & I ADORE herbs, Herbal oils, & of course Herbal books (Of which I refuse to disclose the number I own). At the age of 16 I fell in love with this sweet little store, Meadow Sweet Herbs, I love everything about it.

The way it Smells- like herbs & plants,Sounds- they have a wind chimey thing on the door that jingles merrily every time someone goes in or out,Looks- The wall of shelves covered in clear jars full of a herbs, stacks of homemade soaps, lg containers of oils & lotions for mixing.Sigh.... there is no place better.

Now with 4 kids I have strayed a bit, but I still love my little store, I like using my natural oils & beauty & cleaning products. The kids & I mostly use natural healing products when we are sick, & our toothpaste of choice is Tom's :) Although the kids will tell you it doesn't taste as sweet as the kind at Grandma's house (which isn't a bad thing in my mind :)

Now my husband on the other hand thinks the whole thing is crazy.
He has a whole other way of life that he enjoys. In fact he was the one who informed me, when we were engaged, that I was NOT a Hippie :( He told me that Hippie's- don't wash their bodies, or wear Deodorant or brush their hair (he went to school with several) & that I was NOT like that. So I guess from that I came to realize that while I may not be Completely a Hippie,
I am definitely a Hippie-At-Heart.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Too funny! I am so far from Hippie, it's not even funny!

Erica Hanks said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have just started trying to figure out Photoshop. I have Photoshop Elements 5. It is the cheaper and supposedly easier version of Photoshop. It is taking me awhile to figure it out, but it's fun learning!

I'm headed over to check out your other blog now. My "normal" blog address is:

http://dramaqueensguide.blogspot.com

thamesarino said...

thanks for the link! : )
and tell your husband that not all hippies smell bad! : )
it's just a bad rap that they get because well some of them do.. but not all of us!.... and besides I'v eknown stinky bankers too!(really I think he was the smelliest man I have EVER known!): )
eh, maybe I'm just a hippie at heart too, but whatever.. : )

Lissaloo said...

Thanks for the comments gals :) I think part of his problem is that he doesn't like the smell of herbs/oils, he's crazy what I can I say. lol :)

Nonna said...

Darling blog !

Having grown up in the hippie era,in California, I can tell you that the only good things to come out of it was natural foods,teas, personal hygiene items made with vegie products instead animals ( considering some of the Hippie ways back then,) DSR) I find it all very funny !) The rest of it was a fad and a bunch of hooie !

Later, it morphed into the vegetarian - Vegan movement, soy products lines,wind and solar energy, natural fabric yoga duds and PETA...it costs big bucks to be a 21st century Hippie ! LOL

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie