Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Potstickers

I had Pot Stickers for the first time at Panda Express about 2 months ago, & was hooked. The second time I had them I wasn't quite as impressed, I decided that they were one of those things that can be varied quite a bit from place to place.I wondered how hard they were to make, & began searching the internet for recipes & how to's on Pot Stickers. To my surprise they were super easy, so I combined & messed with several recipes to come up with one that I love and here it is-

Pot Stickers from Start 2 Finish

A lot of the recipes I found said to use store bought wonton wrappers, but the dough recipe I found for them was so easy I don't know why anyone would want to-

Pot Sticker Dough
Ingred;
2c. Flour
1c. boiling water

I place the flour in the bowl of my kitchen aid, put on the beater attachment. Turn it on to the lowest setting and slowly pour in the boiling water. Once it's all mixed together, I turn it up and let it knead it for awhile until the dough is smooth, like this

Set your dough aside and prepare your filling.

The filling for your pot stickers can be basically whatever you like, I have tried chicken & sausage so far. For the sausage ones this is what I did
Sausage/Pork Pot Stickers
Ingred;
1/4lb ground sausage/or pork
a small handful of Chinese cabbage
2 baby carrots
1/4 of a small onion
1 clove garlic
1/4t. sesame oil
1/2t. soy sauce
1/4t. salt

Cook the sausage until just done, place the carrots in the food processor, pulse until finely minced, add the onion & garlic and repeat, then the cabbage. Pulse until all are finely minced and blended. Add in the sausage and seasonings, scrape the sides and pulse until you have a well mixed, finely processed filling.

Divide your dough in half and roll into 2 ropes about 1" in diameter, slice into 1" pieces. Roll dough out into small circles and place about 1 spoonful of filling into each.

Fold dough in half and pinched closed.

When you have 6 ready heat 1T. olive oil in a large skillet, with a lid, when it's hot turn heat to med and place pot stickers into the pan

Let cook about 1 min, until bottoms are golden colored. Get your lid ready, pour 1/2c. water into pan and quickly close the lid. Leave sit for about 5 min. or until all the liquid is gone. Remove from heat. Repeat with the rest of your dough and filling. Serve hot with dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce
Ingred;
1/4c. soy sauce
2T. water
1/4t. sesame oil

Stir together.
There are lots of dipping sauce recipes out there and they are all very easy, this just
happens to be our favorite.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

what fun it was to come home from work and find your blog filled with new recipes. I am definitely going to try these potstickers. I've never made them but think it's something the family would really enjoy. Can you stuff with spinach and cheese? I am assuming yes. The possibilities are endless!

Lissaloo said...

I bet you could stuff them with whatever you wanted, spinach and cheese would be yummy!

Monica H said...

I've never had sausage potstickers, but I'm intrigued. My favorite is pork!

Thanks for the step by step, you've made it seem so simple. Now I want them!

thrasherswife said...

Potstickers are one of my favorite things, but I've never made them.. Your pics make me want to - yum!!!

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie