Thursday, September 24, 2009

I just got a Letter.....

Actually it was more of a package really, a package full of treasures! When I went out to get my mail today there it was in my box, the girls and I opened it up and look, LOOK at my treasures!

These are from my Sweet big Sister B,
Candied French Violets
Candied Rose Petals
lots of Lavender

I am so excited! I will have to find something special to make with these, any ideas?

I have a recipe that I begged Sister B for all week, it requires the use of these-

aren't they pretty?

Here look again-

They look wonderful, don't they.......
Well, as we all know, looks can be deceiving! These little fuzzy fibbers were half brown on the inside! I was totally disgusted. So instead of making 2 pies we only made one, cause that's all I got out of them.

Aunt B's Vanilla Custard Peach Pie
Ingred;
1 deep dish pie crust
5 med. peaches
8 oz sour cream
3 large egg yolks
1c. sugar
1/4c. flour
2t. vanilla or buttershots

1/4c. butter
1/2c. flour
1/4c. sugar

Peel & slice peaches, arrange in the bottom of pie shell. In medium pan whisk together the next 5 ingredient until smooth & pour over peaches. Bake at 425 for 30 min.
Prepare the remaining ingredient. as a struesal topping, sprinkle over pie and return to the oven at 400 for another 30 min.
Garnish with unpeeled peach slices and a sprig of mint.

Now I couldn't garnish mine because of the peach shortage, so I gave my girls each a piece of the leftover pie dough and they made me some cute leaves to decorate the center.

Thank you Aunt B for the sweet gifts and for a wonderful recipe!

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That pie sounds AMAZING.

Lee said...

I am awed by your pie!!

betty said...

if they are candied french violets and rose petals, are they edible?

the pie looks divine :)

betty

Willoughby said...

What a great package to get in the mail! I would use the candied violets and rose petals to decorate the top of cupcakes.

I hate when you have plans for fruit or vegetables and they turn out to be rotten! I just had that happen with some red potatoes. Your pie looks delicious, though!

Chicago Mom said...

I just had a couple Pink Lady apples that looked good from the outside, but were brown on the inside - yuck!

The pie looks wonderful!

ChristineM said...

That pie look wonderful!

Last night I had to toss a whole head of garlic - went to mince what I thought were big juicy cloves and they were brown and mushy!

Lissaloo said...

What is with all the bad fruits and vegies?!? I bought my peaches the day before I used them and they were firm and beautiful, so odd.

Monica H said...

THose peaches are beautiful, it's a shame they were all yucky. This pie looks incredible though.

Tracie said...

I need to stop looking at your blog in the evening. Now I want to eat! (I bet the pie was yummy.)

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie