Monday, September 21, 2009

Krafting with Miss K- Knitting

Miss K finished a project last night that we wanted to share, she made this

for her baby doll

I can not knit to save my life, last year my Cousin introduced me to these, they're called the Knifty Knitter Loom. I have actually knitted scarfs with it!!! This year I plan on making hats for all the kids. I have posted more about this, and sites with patterns, on my other blog.
All of my girls love these, the two older can do it without any help, Miss M needs a bit more supervision :)


Moving on, I made these last week but have been slow in posting it.
I read about lotion bars on a blog a few months ago, there was even a link to
where you could buy them. Which I bookmarked,
we all know how I bookmark everything :)
I really wanted to buy one, lol, or two, but they are 15$ each!!! Add in the shipping and there was no way I could justify spending over 30$ on 2 little lotion bars. BUT I found a site online that had instructions to make your own! How cool is that?!?!!
As you can tell I was a little excited :)
So I made my own, actually I made about 6 of them,
Christmas is coming you know!
So here are a couple of them, I still need to come up with something cute to put them in-

And here is the recipe-

Sweet Bee Lotion Bars

Ingred;
1/4c. beeswax
1/4c. coconut oil
1/4c. cocoa butter
1/2t. vitamin E
1/2t. honey

Place beeswax in a heat proof bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, works best if you break it into pieces first, then add in the coconut oil and cocoa butter. Heat it in 30 second intervals stirring after each until its all melted together. Stir in the remaining ingred. Set in the fridge for about 15-20 min to cool it down a little. Pour into your molds, I used soap making molds- because they stand up to high heat. Make sure whatever mold you use isn't going to melt, this is very hot!
Let set for about 6 hours, or overnight then unmold.

These are really nice, but the next batch I make I am going to try using a little bit more beeswax so they are a little more solid. This recipe is pretty close to perfect though :)
In place of the honey, you could use any essential oil you like, or for a cold time bar use 1 T. of Vick's vaper rub. That is my next project, cold season is coming up quick.

11 comments:

Chicago Mom said...

I have never heard of lotion bars before; do you rub your hands on them like a bar of soap? That would be cool!

Thanks for letting me know about the sugar! At many restaurants here you can find raw sugar packets on the table from Sugar In The Raw - I love that stuff!

Kristina P. said...

You really are so talented!

Lissaloo said...

Yeah you just rub it on your hands and such, I am really excited about the Vick's one for the kids.

Sugar in the Raw is one of the main brands of it, my Dad uses that on his oatmeal so now my kiddos have to have theirs like Grandpa of course :)

Unknown said...

You have such nifty ideas! We made homemade soap in our science class last year. We experimented and I think our favorite was a rosemary/sage combo. Very refreshing.

Lee said...

I love that lotion bar!! I also love the knitting thing!! I will have to get that for my daughter! By the way...check out my blog tomorrow...there will be a surprise for you!

betty said...

what a cute scarf for her doll your little one made; I hadn't seen that "knitter" so to speak; looks like fun; I'll have to check it out. I like knitting but I don't know all the fancy stitches

those lotion bars look interesting too! I can see why they would make good Christmas gifts

betty

Mini Baker said...

just found your blog and I love it! I'll be checking back often :) I love making soap & knitting & cooking! So this is the place for me!
-Mini Baker

Monica H said...

I love the knifty knitter. I have one! And I made a couple scarves, several hats with pompoms for friends babies, and a blanket. Fun stuff.

Tracie said...

I hopped over here from Lee's site. I wish I could knit - it's on my to-do list. The lotion bar looks great!

Willoughby said...

The scarf is so cute! I don't know how to knit so I bought one of those big table top knitting machines at the flea market. It was so complicated that I couldn't figure it out and ended up selling it.

I love the lotion bars! I'm the queen of dry skin, I should make some and see how they work for me!

I buy a lot of different types of packaging (bags, containers, pouches, etc.) for my gift basket business from papermart.com. Have you ever seen their website? They have a lot to choose from and the prices are good.

Nonna said...

I am so happy to see kids learning to knit. My Nana taught me and I loved it as a kid...they did a great job on those scarves !

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie