Monday, September 28, 2009

What happens when you are a Forgetful Fool

So Yesterday I decided to make bread, I got out all the ingredients, mixed it all together. I was thinking to myself how quick and easy it was. How the dough turned out perfect, not too sticky not too dry. I put my dough in a bowl to rise and started cleaning up, I was wiping the counter when I noticed a carton of eggs sitting on the counter, eggs? hmmm why are those out? Did my recipe call for eggs? Did I put eggs in it?
So I grabbed the recipe, which was sitting on the eggs, yep called for 1 egg, nope I didn't put an egg in it. Dang! What now? Should I try to mix in an egg?? Ummmm no probably not a good plan. Should I toss it or just cook it anyway?
I decided to cook it anyway to see if it would work, then I mixed up another batch of dough. You know, so that I could do the whole scientific thing and compare the 2. Cause apparently I wanted to spend all day in the kitchen, I am such a goof.

So here is my eggless bread-

Here is my follow-the-recipe bread-

They look pretty similar, they taste very similar too! The one without the egg is a bit crumblier, and I decided that next time (this recipe is a work in progress) I will be adding a little more sugar and 1 or 2 more eggs- if I remember them that is!
But if you wanted to make eggless bread, because of allergies or you want to make bread and have no eggs ( been there) this recipe will work! Yay! :)

Easy Homemade Bread
Ingred;
2c. milk
1/2c. butter
1-1/2t. salt
1/4c. sugar
2 1/2T. yeast
2/3c. warm water
1 egg
7c. flour

Place milk in a heat proof bowl, microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir in the sugar, salt and butter. Let set until butter is melted in. Mix together the water and yeast, let set until creamy.
Mix the yeast and egg into the milk mixture.
Place the flour in your mixer bowl, turn on the mixer, slowly pour in the milk mixture. Mix until well combined, let the mixer continue to knead the dough for a few minutes. Turn dough into an oiled bowl, cover and set somewhere warm, let it rise until doubled- about 30 min.
Heat oven to 350. Shape loaves, place in oiled bread pans and let rise until dough reaches the top of the pans.
Bake about 30-40 minutes.


While we are on the subject of eggs, or the lack of, this morning for breakfast Mr K and I tried a new recipe for eggs, it was a big hit! I'm sure we will be making this one a lot :)


Shirred Eggs
Ingred;
eggs
butter
cream
salt and pepper
shredded cheese

Butter each small ramekin, place about 1T.cream in the bottom of each one. Place on egg in each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cheese (if you want cheese, they do cook about 5 minutes quicker without the cheese).
Place in oven, 350, for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy.

14 comments:

Lissaloo said...

And the color in the 2 bread pictures are different because I used to different camera setting, see I am a total goof, Lol :)

Unknown said...

I've done similar too many times to count. I blame it on "old timer's" disease.

Question regarding the shirred eggs: do you put the egg "whole" into the ramiken or do you break and mix the yolk with the whites? This sounds like a recipe I would like.

One thing I like to do with eggs is to soft boil them, place whole on an english muffin or good hearty toast. Top with a mix of equal parts mayo/sour cream (1 TBSP each), a squirt of mustard, a few drops of lemon juice, S&P and a dash of my signature spice. (heat mayo mix for about 30 seconds on med. heat in the microwave) Yummy.

Lee said...

You MADE bread!! TWICE!! I have to go and hide in shame. I wouldn't even consider trying to fool with yeast!!

Kristina P. said...

I can't even make bread in a bread machine. No joke.

Tracie said...

I make bread in the machine around once per week but haven't done it by hand in 10+ years. When do sleep woman?

Willoughby said...

I've left ingredients out of recipes lots of times. My worst, though, is forgetting to serve a dish altogether! This happens a lot when we have company and I make a dish or two ahead of time. I'll forget it in the refrigerator, in the microwave, in a bowl on the counter....you name it!

I love eggs almost any way they are prepared. Your shirred eggs look delicious! My son would go crazy for them!

Monica H said...

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you, but I'm even more impressed that you baked another loaf!

betty said...

not that I'm a baker, but I would think the bread with no egg would have been drier but still eatable as you came to discover. But hey, then you discovered a new way to try down the road and a good recipe if someone is allergic to eggs too so that was a good thing right??

that egg breakfast recipe looks good too! neat that you have your kids helping you too to look for recipes and try them out; I'm sure they enjoy sampling :)

betty

Chicago Mom said...

I love that egg recipe! I have bigger ramekins so I'll probably double the recipe. I wonder if I could put tomatoes in there too? Yum!

I love that you re-made the bread the correct way! I probably would have done it eventually, but not on the same day. :)

Lissaloo said...

This bread recipe is so easy, it's obviously fool proof ;) If you haven't made bread before this is a great recipe to try :)
The eggs I left whole, no stirring, I bet it would be awesome with tomatoes!

Stephanie Faris said...

Why is it when other people leave out an ingredient, it works out okay? When I do, though, it is a complete disaster.

ChristineM said...

Glad your bread turned out! I left the sugar out of banana bread once...not so lucky! Well, actually I guess I was because I made bread pudding out of it...nothing like covering up your mistakes with eggs, chocolate chips and bananas!

Those eggs look great!

Donna-FFW said...

Good for you.. I dont think I would have had the patience to bake it again. Envy your determination. It looks so yummy and evenly cooked.

BashfulToast said...

Haha, I forget to add things all the time! Which is why I don't usually cook without Willoughby! But the eggs with the cheese sound so good! If I had time and the ingredients I would deff. make them!!

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie