Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Herb Tea, Sweet Tea, Sun Tea

A few weeks ago I started looking online for a Sun Tea recipe, I found TONS of fun Tea Recipes. I got a gallon glass jar from my Mommer a couple weeks ago and today finally gotta around to making my Sun Tea. So I thought I would share that recipe and a few of the others I found when I was searching.

Here's is my-
Sun Tea Recipe

Ingred;
1 gallon fresh cool water
8 chamomile tea bags
1/4c. dried hibiscus flowers in a tea ball
1/2c. honey

I put all the ingred. except for the honey into my gallon jar, put the lid on tightly and placed outside in the sun for about 5 hours (you can leave it all day, I was to excited to leave it any longer :) Remove all the teabags and tea ball, stir in the honey serve over ice and store the rest in the fridge.

Very tasty, I love the color the hibiscus gives this, and chamomile will always be my favorite tea.

Here are a few of the other recipes I found-

Sweet Sun Tea by TMarie
  • 14 bags Tea
  • 1 cup Shugga

Tie your 14 tea bags together. Place in bottom of a 4 quart clear container. I use a BIG restaurant pickle jar. I just cleaned it really, really well & let it soak with baking soda to get the vinegar smell out.

ANYWAY… fill the container with cold water, put the cover on and place outside in the sun for @ 3 hours.

Bring inside, take out tea bags, pour in a cup of sugar, more or less depending on your taste. Chill for a couple of hours or pour over ice & enjoy!

Southern Sweet Tea

Put one cup of sugar and one cup of water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. This is called simple syrup. Add this to a gallon of tea to sweeten it. The sugar melts in the water so you don't have that "gritty" taste from the sugar.

To make tea:
Put 8 regular or 4 family tea bags in 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil and immediately cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Pour into your pitcher with the simple syrup and add water to fill your gallon container.
Now that is Southern Sweet Tea.

Russian Sun Tea
6 Orange Spice tea bags (Celestial Seasonings or whatever)
2 Lemon tea bags
1 Cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
1 gallon water
2 teaspoons sugar


Add sugar to water in a clear, 1 gallon container. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add tea bags; leave strings and tags hanging outside jar. Add cinnamon stick and cloves. Place in sun for about six hours or so, then remove tea bags, cinnamon stick, and cloves, and refrigerate.

Serve with ice in tall glasses. Garnish with a slice of orange.

Actually, this tea brews equally well in the refrigerator, if you want to save time. A good way to make it is to brew it overnight in the refrigerator, then you have fresh tea in the morning!


So there you go enough Ice Tea recipes to get you through the last few days of summer :) :)

3 comments:

betty said...

all of the recipes sound refreshing! my hubby makes his sun tea so simple; gets I think about 6 Lipton tea bags, ties them together, has a container (probably about a gallon size) that he fills with water and puts it outside mostly all day; it just tastes so sweet being made from the sun, doesn't it? amazing that it happens like that too!

enjoy!

betty

Monica H said...

i've never been a fan of tea but I remember sitting on the back porch and making sun tea with my grandmother :-)

Willoughby said...

Great idea! We go through a lot of iced tea in the summer, but I haven't made sun tea in years! I had forgotten about it, honestly. I wonder if I still have that jar?

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie