Monday, August 3, 2009

Spiced Rhubarb Soup and a Lovely Blueberry Coffee Cake

This is my very first attempt at a chilled fruit soup and it was just lovely.


Spiced Rhubarb Soup
Ingred;

4c. Rhubarb, diced
3/4c. sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1t. whole cloves
1/4t. salt
3-1/2T. cornstarch
1 lemon slice
vanilla yogurt

Bring 3-1/4c. water, rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt to a boil. Simmer for about 20 min. Strain off pulp and return liquid to pot, bring to a boil, mix corn starch and 1/4c. water and whisk in. Cook until thickened, place lemon slice in bowl and pour hot soup over it. Cover and chill 3 hours. Garnish with yogurt.

This is my entry for Kahakai Kitchen's
This was delicious, we really enjoyed it. Mr. K my little experimenter wants me to try making rhubarb jello, he is becoming a big rhubarb fan apparently :)

Also here's picture of the Blueberry Poppyseed Coffee Cake the recipe for this is on my Muffin post.

13 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

Would you believe I've never had rhubarb? This makes me want to try it.

Kristina P. said...

These both look and sound so delicious!

Unknown said...

I'm "jonesin'" for a piece of that coffee cake. The soup is beautiful. I remember rhubarb as being very sour when I was little. I've been hesitant to try it as an adult but this may be the impetus to do so!

Monica H said...

oooh, that cake!

Kristen said...

that cake looks so yummy!

Willoughby said...

I do believe you are the Queen of Rhubarb! I've never seen so many creative and delicious ways to use!

The soup and the coffee cake both look delicious!

Chicago Mom said...

I not a fan of rhubarb, but that blueberry cake looks amazing!

ChristineM said...

They BOTH look awesome!

Donna-FFW said...

Rhubarb soup.. how creative, bet it pack a wonderful punch of flavor. Your muffins look delicious!

Karine said...

Rhubarb soup? Fantastic idea! I had never thought of it before.... Thanks for sharing!

Talita said...

Great idea! Sounds really delicious!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Your soup looks delicious--such a pretty color. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays--nice to see you back this week!

Nonna said...

Oh, how yummy and refreshing !

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie