Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lavender's Blue, dilly dilly

Lavender's Green,
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen.

I found a recipe in an old Better Homes & Gardens Magazine that sounded intriging, it also reminded me of a song my Gram would sing to me.

Lavender Blue Lemonade
Ingred;
3c. blueberries
Juice from 4 lg lemons- about 1 cup- save rinds
1/2c. sugar
4c. boiling water
1t. dried lavender buds- I put mine in a tea ball

Gently mash the blue berries in a 4qt heat proof pitcher or bowl. Add in the lemon juice, sugar and stir. Steep the lavender in the hot water for about 5min. Add to your lemon mixture, stir to dissolve sugar. Add in the reserved lemon rinds, cover and chill over night. Pour through a mesh strainer and serve over ice.

This was pretty tasty, the kiddos & I enjoyed it. I liked the lavender & lemon flavors together, next time I want to try this without the blueberries.

5 comments:

betty said...

this does seem interesting; I do enjoy reading your blog because you do post "unusual" (at least to me) recipes; I would have thought of doing this with blueberries and lavendar. sounds delicious though!

betty

Monica H said...

I've had blueberry lemonade before but never with lavendar. I bet that was nice and tasty.

I like your new blog look! It's nice and bright.

thrasherswife said...

My grandma taught me how to play this song on the piano!! Thank you for the wonderful memory, I forgot all about this song until I saw it on your post... it will play through my head all day with thoughts of my grandma...

Willoughby said...

I love the color! It looks very refreshing.

Nonna said...

That looks so pretty and tasty !

Thank you!!!

Black & White Movie